Friday 28 August 2009

Vanilla Ice is coming, why even if no one knows?


I am excited but I'm not conform why. Maybe it's the pull of nostalgia. Maybe it's morbid fascination. South African shores have proven hospitable to acts that are somewhat past their prime. In crrrent years we've had Foreigner, Air Supply, Jethro Tull, Rod Stewart, Simply Red, Cliff Richard, ZZ Top, Bryan Adams, Bread and many many others. Don't get me wrong. Some of these acts are nice but none of them are at the height of their fame. Are they hoping that SA is hiding a musical fountain of youth?

Think of it as the Cold Factor. American folk musician Rodriguez had elderly from music after failing to succeed in his home country. He then found out that he is super famous in South Africa and came to tour, enjoing a career reappearance. Who knows… Maybe SA can do the same for Mr Ice aka Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a much better stage name, if you ask me). And if it works for him, maybe it'll work for other bands whose star power has used in the heaven. I need to see MC Hammer's pants making a return. I need to see Boy George, pot belly and all. I need to see Ringo Starr doing his solo shtick. I need to see Hanson now that they're grown women. I need to see Europe doing one Final Countdown. I need to see Billy Ray Cyrus stepping out of Miley's shadow. Come one! Come all!

No comments:

Post a Comment